Monday, October 19, 2009

Zuppa Toscana

As promised some three weeks ago, here's my recipe for Zuppa Toscana. And by "my recipe", I mean that it's the recipe I used. I am in no way responsible for inventing this recipe, nor did I have a hand in duplicating the hard work done by Olive Garden. No, I merely did an internet search, found the recipe, purchased the ingredients and cooked it. Incidentally, the recipe I used can be found here.

1 lb Italian sausage
1 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
1 large diced white onion
4 Tbsp bacon or pancetta
2 tsp pureed garlic
10 cups water
5 cubes chicken bouillon
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or 3 large potatoes
1/4 bunch kale

Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in large pot. Drain excess fat and refrigerate.


In same pot, sauté bacon/pancetta, onions and garlic approximately 15 minutes or until onions are soft.

Mix chicken bouillon and water, and add it to onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.

Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.

Add heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.

Stir in sausage.

Add kale prior to serving.

Serves 6-8.

1 comment: